Wow! How time flies. Here it is almost winter & Christmas. Through all of the tribulations, I delivered a beautiful baby boy 2 weeks before his due date. I was so concerned with the diagnosis of gestational diabetes and the possible complications of it, that now looking back, I overcame that only to have a more difficult complication. I tested my sugars as directed by my midwife and was controlling them with no difficulty. The midwife stated I could have fallen into the 1% that are misdiagnosed. I received some difficult news during my routine dr appt at 37bwks 2 days. Baby was laying transverse and couldn't be delivered that way for a successful vaginal delivery. I was devestated. I had three previous uneventful pregnancies and now this. My options were to undergo an ECV procedure or have a planned csection at 39 weeks. Since this was my last baby and all of my previous babies were delivered vaginally, I wanted that option. I did my research on the ECV procedure (external cephalic version), this is where a trained OB physician turns the baby on the outside of your abdomen. It has potential risky complications, although a very low percent. During this appointment, my blood pressure started elevating. I reassured my midwife that is was the stress of this news. It didn't seem to comfort her too much, but I told her I was fine & I'd see her in a week. She didn't like that response and decided I needed to follow up with her on Monday, Labor Day. She was oncall at the hospital. Since the clinic was closed for the holiday, I had arranged to go to the hospital at 10am to have a blood pressure check, check baby's position, and have a consult with an OB dr in regards to the
ECV procedure. My husband and I got there a little after 10am on Labor Day. I expected to be there for less than an hour. To my surprise, we left there around 12:30pm only to have to return at 3pm. The nonstress test on baby showed a healthy very active baby, but my blood pressure still elevated. My blood work showed only minor elevations but the baby was still transverse. I was now 37 weeks and 6 days. After speaking to the OB dr, we decided to go ahead with the procedure. He personally had not had any complications. I'd need to go 6 hours without food. Since I ate at 9am, I'd return at 3pm to have it done. To be continued....
Monday, November 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment