Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Delivery Time

My husband and I returned to the hospital on Labor Day at 3pm for the ECV procedure. We had grandma come in and stay with our other children on the off chance that they'd keep me. My husband was pretty certain delivery day was here. I on the other hand was optimistic. I really wanted to wait another 2 weeks to be closer to my due date-September 22nd. Our 2 older boys also had their first day of school tomorrow. If I delivered the baby, that would mess up their first day of school. We arrived at the hospital at 3pm. They put me into a labor and delivery room and put on a gown. The two OB doctors arrived to do the ECV procedure. They first checked the baby's position with a portable ultrasound. Baby had turned from sideways (transverse) to completely breech. My disappointment quickly escalated. The chances of a successful turn just decreased from 75% to 50% working now. I only hoped we made the right decision. Part of me wanted to wait it out and see if baby would turn on it's own later. My midwife though had assured me those chances were very slim as I was almost 38 weeks and baby had been in the transverse position for most of my pregnancy. It had come to like that position. The longer I wait to have the ECV procedure done, the less chance it would work considering the baby will continue to grow taking up more room allowing less room to move around. The procedure took only about a minute. They monitored baby closely-the heart rate and position with ultrasound. They continued to monitor the baby after the procedure also. The midwife consulted the OB doctors about inducing labor immediately. Their thought was I still was having increased blood pressure, which could lead to preeclampsia, and since they were able to easily move the baby's position, it could easily move back again. I would then most likely be facing a c-section. I hestitantly agreed to be induced. I really struggled with this. I wasn't mentally ready to have a baby. We had everything ready at home for the baby. In my past pregnancies, two were induced on a scheduled date due to being over my due date and my other baby came on his due date. I knew he was coming soon as I started having contraction a couple of days before he was born. On all three of these, I had warning baby was coming. This baby, I didn't even pack my bag. I didn't have any time to get used to the idea. Baby was on it's way!

No comments:

Post a Comment