Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Give it time! Loss of life

How many times have we heard that famous line, "Give it time!" And you just want to scream at the person who says it. Like they know from their personal experiences what you're going through and how sometimes that just doesn't apply. Some day or several days, months, or maybe even years, you'll look back and realize that by giving something time, you can make heads or tails of what happened and the reason for it.

Real life example: I had just graduated from college with a BS in elementary education. Applying for jobs and eager to start my life. A twist in the road, I soon was pregnant. I had been with the baby's father for a couple of years and were looking to settle down. It just didn't quite happen in the order I had wanted. A blessing from above nonetheless. The pregnancy started out tough. Extreme cramping soon found it's way to me and brought a visit into the ER. Pregnant and my body's way of dealing with it. I continued with the normal prenatal visits and tests. The first appointment to confirm my baby's due date should have been a joyous experience. It soon turned into something much scarier. The doctor couldn't find the baby. Blood tests soon showed the pregnancy hormone had decreased. I had lost the baby. I went into a deep depression, wondering what I had done to cause the death of this tiny being. I didn't smoke, drink, or do drugs. Maybe not the healthiest of eaters and exercising wasn't a high priority at the time. I couldn't help but to wonder what I did wrong. Why would this happen to me. Why would anyone have to go through the joyous experience of being pregnant, to only have it end so abruptly? I didn't know it at the time, but I would soon get my answer. Not years away, but a few short weeks I would start to get my answers. Stay tuned for part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment